Monday, 22 March 2010

St. Lucian library loses valuable electronic equipment in fire

AUTHOR: Stan Bishop
TITLE: Central Library Fire
SOURCE: The Voice
DATE: March 20, 2010

The author provides an account of the fire and the events leading to the Fire department's extinguishing the fire. The article also reports on what is believed to be the cause of the fire. The article also reports on the Director for the library's initial assessment of the impact of the fire for the library. The director in response, opines that the library has lost equipment and will remain close for some time until a full assessment is undertaken of the damage.


Brenda Paul, director of Library Services,
also spoke to the media after being summoned
to the scene of the fire. She described the
timing of the fire as “unfortunate.”

“Right now, we are undertaking
some minor repairs on the library, although
we, in fact, need some major repairs,”
Paul said. “ So it is really unfortunate.
More than that, we have lost most of our resources in there: computers, television sets, a VCR.
I’m just hoping that we will be able
to get funding to replace those valuable resources.”

Paul added that at the time of the fire, the
library had been closed, following a decision
taken earlier in the day by staff due to a
water shortage at the institution. In the
interim, she added, the Central Library will
remain closed, as a detailed assessment of
the building’s electrical circuits needs
to be done.

Fire at Central Library in St. Lucia

AUTHOR: Carmy Joseph
TITLE: Fire At The Library
SOURCE: HTS Channel 4
DATE: [March 19, 2010]

The article reports on a fire at the Central Library in Castries, St. Lucia that was extinguished by the nation's Fire department. Causes of the fire and the details on how it was extinguished were recorded. The report also provides brief mention about the location of the library and an overview of its building.

The call came in a little before 3PM – a fire inside the Central Library in Castries. Divisional Officer – Lambert Charles –says the Castries Fire Station responded with two units. When they got there they found the fire blazing behind a locked door. Charles says his men had to break the door down to gain entry into the room.

The fire was extinguished in 15 minutes. And already – officials have ascertained the cause of the blaze. The old wives tale of never throwing water on an electrical fire did not prove true in this instance. Charles says it was a combination of water and breathing apparatus that allowed his men to make quick work of the fire.